Wiston Castle is a well-preserved motte-and-bailey castle, believed to have been built sometime in the first half of the twelfth century by an early Flemish settler, Wizo (Gwys in Welsh).
In 1220 the castle was captured by Llywelyn the Great, prince of Gwynedd during an early campaign in south Wales and destroyed. Local people were later instructed to help William Marshal, the Earl of Pembroke rebuild Wiston however it is uncertain whether this rebuilding actually took place.
Whatever happened after 1220, the castle was abruptly abandoned during an intermediate stage of its development. The original wooden tower was replaced by a stone shell-keep, but there appear to be no further masonry additions meaning that the early stonework remains clear and visible.
Today Wiston Castle ranks as one of the best-preserved motte and bailey castles in Wales. The existing remains comprise a mound crowned by the ruins of a stone keep which was surrounded by a bailey. The mound rises to a height of some 40 feet, with a base circumference of about 550 feet.