About Cowbridge Physic Garden
Historical records show that, at the end of the nineteenth century, the walled enclosure was laid out formally with paths and beds, probably to a design that had been established many years before. At one stage the site was used as a kitchen garden by the Grammar School but, in recent years, it has served as a tree nursery for the Councils of South Glamorgan and the Vale of Glamorgan. It lies opposite the old Grammar School building in Church Street, within the medieval town walls.
The site had been neglected for some years and was a virtual wilderness. The first stage in the recreation of the garden would involve clearance and archaeological investigation of the site. The project complemented the Cowbridge 750 celebrations to mark the creation of Cowbridge Borough by charter in 1254.
Why a Physic Garden for Cowbridge? In 2004 Cowbridge celebrated the 750th anniversary of its first borough charter. The creation of a Physic Garden was planned as part of these celebrations.
Where is it? It is sited in the old walled garden, once part of Old Hall, Cowbridge, Vale of Glamorgan in south Wales
What did it replace? A site was recently used as a tree nursery but was very overgrown.
Who uses it? The Physic Garden is freely accessible to the public, to be enjoyed by both local people and visitors to Cowbridge and the Vale of Glamorgan. It has both aesthetic and educational value. The garden accessible to disabled visitors
Like what you see at Cowbridge Physic Garden?