About Big Pit National Coal Museum
Set in the unique Blaenafon Industrial Landscape and designated UNESCO World Heritage Site, Big Pit used to employ up to 1,300 workers.
Now you can follow in their footsteps through award-winning interactive exhibits and our world-famous underground tour.
Led by a real miner, the tour will take you 300ft underground through original mine workings. It will give you a living, breathing taste of what life was like for those who made their living at the coal face.
On the surface, enjoy a virtual tour of a modern coal mine in the multi-media exhibition King Coal: The Mining Experience.
The Pithead Baths exhibition, with its warm wit, images and objects brings to life the story of coal mining in Wales. A moving, informative and entertaining exploration of the lives of miners and their families, at work and at home.
Don’t miss the Lamp Room with our real-life canaries, the Blacksmith’s Forge, the Fan House and the Explosives Magazine.
We have events, activities and exhibitions throughout the year.
For more details, visit www.museum.wales/bigpit or call (029) 2057 3650.
- Admission is free
- Car park charge
- Children under 16 years must be accompanied by an adult at all times and must be over 1 metre tall to go underground.
- The underground tour takes approximately one hour and everyone must wear a helmet and carry a lamp weighing approx. 5kgs
- Allow 3-4 hours for your visit
- Please wear warm clothing and sensible footwear – paths underground can be uneven or slippery in places, with steps and low areas
- Groups of ten or more and wheelchair users must book in advance for the underground tour
- Groups and individuals can book a timeslot for the underground tour at a small charge. Details: www.museum.wales/bigpit/visit/jobaknock
- Canteen and gift shop (all year) plus seasonal coffee shop
- The museum and underground tour are accessible to wheelchairs users. Please call us for details or visit our website.
Open daily February-October: 9.30am–5pm (last admission 4pm)
Underground tours run frequently 10am–3.30pm.
Please check with the Museum before making a special trip.
Please call for November to January details.
Like what you see at Big Pit National Coal Museum?