Pontypridd Museum occupies Tabernacl Chapel, at the north end of the town. The chapel was built in 1861, and still has its pipe-organ and unusually decorative interior, which has recently been restored. It was purchased by Pontypridd Town Council in 1983 and re-opened as the town’s museum in 1986.
Paintings and other works of art celebrate William Edwards’ bridge, close to the museum, which was built in 1756 and became famous as the first in Europe to exceed the span of the Rialto in Venice. Personal items belonging to Evan and James James remind us that the Welsh national anthem was composed here in 1856.