The Fairbourne Railway has been running from Fairbourne village to the mouth of the Mawddach Estuary, connecting with the ferry to Barmouth for over 100 years. It started as a two foot gauge horse-drawn tramway which was then converted to a 15 inch gauge railway in 1916. The line in 1986 was completely re built to a 12.25 inch gauge.
Return tickets are valid all day and passengers may break their journey at any of the four request stops. The full round trip takes 60 mins and all trains are normally steam hauled.
The Fairbourne Railway track was originally laid in 1895 by Mr. Arthur McDougall, of flour fame, to transport building materials for the construction of Fairbourne Village. Since then his horse drawn trams have been replaced by steam engines and in 1985 the 15 inch gauge track was converted to 12 ¼ inch.
We will reopen with steam haulage every day at 10.40, 11.40, 12.40, 13.40, 14.40, 15.40 & 16.40 from Fairbourne.
Buy your tickets on the day, with no pre booking needed.
Strict covid-19 procedures will be in place to protect both visitors and staff.
The Museum, Rowen Centre and all facilities at Barmouth Ferry will remain closed.
The Café will remain open to sell tickets and gifts, with cashless payments preferred.
There will also be a take-away service for tea, coffee, cold drinks, ice cream and selected snacks prior to boarding the train.