About Cambrian Heritage Railways (Oswestry)
Oswestry was a railway town from the 1860’s until passenger services ended in 1966, though quarry trains ran until 1988. Oswestry Station was the headquarters of the Cambrian Railways – a group that ran over 300 miles of track from Wrexham to Whitchurch in the east, to Aberystwyth and Pwllheli in the west and Brecon to the south. The town had two stations – the Cambrian Railways station (which still stands on Oswald Rd.) and the GWR station (now Morrison’s car park).
The headquarters of the Cambrian Heritage Railways can be found in Oswald Road at Oswestry, next door to the museum and car park. Oswestry Station has been renovated and converted to serve as a restaurant and visitor centre on the ground floor with offices on the first floor. Museum opening times: Tuesdays to Fridays Easter to end September 11:00 - 15:00; also on train running days and special events. Admission to the museum is free.
A short section of line is in operation here; trains are hauled by steam or diesel.
See also Cambrian Heritage Railways at Llynclys.