About Blaengarw Workmen's Hall
Blaengarw Workmen’s Hall was originally built in 1893 and opened 5th March 1894, Blaengarw Workmen's Hall is a monument to the resourcefulness and commitment of the men who worked at the coal face in the mines of Blaengarw. Each contributed two pence a week from his wage packet towards the construction of a building which would house their academic, creative and cultural aspirations. At a grand cost of £3400, it held a well-stocked library and reading room, cinema and theatre, and soon became the main focus for community activities, sporting events and meetings of every description.
A near disaster in the mid-70’s lead to the closing of the hall, after a heating pipe ruptured, spewing carbon monoxide fumes through the cinema. Fifty-four children and teenagers and two adults were detained at Bridgend General Hospital after dozens passed out during a screening of Peter Pan. Thankfully, there were no fatalities.
After its rescue from dereliction by Valley and Vale Community Arts and the local community (funded by the Welsh Office and Bridgend County Borough Council), Blaengarw Workmen's Hall was officially reopened in 1992. Creation was formed in 2000 and took over the running of the premises on behalf of the local authority, with the aim of managing the building and once more making it the thriving heart of the community.