Chris Knight, author of award-winning blogging site 'Oh What a Knight', takes a hike to the top of Pumlumon (Plynlimon) Fawr. It's the tallest point in the Cambrian Mountains at 752m (2467ft) high. Chris follows the Caradoc Jones Trail, a circular route which begins near the shores of the remote Nant y Moch Reservoir in Ceredigion. Expect magnificent views, muddy feet, and peace and quiet along the way.
The walk is around 3.8 miles (5.6 km) long. Allow at least 4 hours to complete.
Need to know information before walking up Pumlumon Fawr
- Narrow single track mountain roads to get to the start point - it's very remote
- Limited parking
- There are no toilets or other facilities on or near the mountain
- Take all the food and water you might need with you
- Please respect our beautiful countryside and take all your rubbish home with you
- Follow the Countryside Code
We recommend you check out the Adventure Smart website before heading into the mountains. They have top tips about staying safe while exploring the outdoors, what equipment and clothing to take, and how to ‘make a good day better’.