A savoury twist on a traditional Welsh classic.
250g self-raising flour
100g Welsh salted butter
1 leek, white and light green part, finely chopped
50g Y Fenni cheese, grated
1 tsp dried Laverbread (Welshman’s caviar)
1 beaten egg
1 tbsp milk (you can add a little more if required)
- Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add leek, cheese and Laverbread. Mix with a fork.
- Add beaten egg and milk to form a stiff dough.
- Roll out to 1cm thickness and cut into circles (about 6cm in diameter).
- Heat a griddle or frying pan (medium heat). Oil with a little butter.
- Drop Welshcakes onto the hot surface and cook through until golden on each side.
Recipe by Jane Harris, Visit Wales.