Hidden away in the historic quarter of this old market town lies the Almshouse Museum. Built by Sir John Wynne Of Gwydyr in 1610 the building provided shelter and simple comfort for twelve Almsmen and later women, for over 360 years until it's closure in 1976
The Almshouses lay empty, deteriorating and unloved for the next 25 years, until saved by the Charity of Sir John Wynne of Gwydyr, who raised the necessary funding to enable the sympathetic restoration of this historically important Jacobean building. Early in 2000, the Llanrwst Almshouse Museum Trust (formed in 1987) was offered the the lease of The Almshouses for a peppercorn rent, which enabled them to work towards setting up a community Museum. Lord Dafydd Elis Thomas officially opened the Museum to the public in April 2002
The Museum today - In the 17th and 18th centuries, Llanrwst was a bustlin, thriving market town supporting such industries as tanning brewing, dying, cabinet and harp making, printing and clock making. There were wheelrights and cart makers and many specialised trade skills to supprt these industries and the needs of the realtively affluent Llanrwst society of that period. The Llanrwst Almshouse Museum offers the visitor a glimpse of this past, through a changing display of objects associated with these industires and with the social history of the town.