About St Marys Church
One of the glories of the church is the “wagon roof” over the Chancel. Bosses (circa 1470) depicting the four Evangelists, the Passion, grotesque beasts and faces, fish and a mermaid holding a mirror, decorate this roof.
The octagonal spire built on the top of the older tower also belongs to this period. The spire rises to 152 feet surmounted by a weathercock and is a landmark for local shipping. Clock faces adorn the four sides of the tower. The present chiming clock was installed in 1899 to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee.
The tower houses a peal of eight bells with the heaviest, the tenor, weighing twelve-and-a-
The High Altar in the Chancel of St. Mary’s is dramatically set at the head of ten sanctuary steps. The unusually wide south aisle leads to the High Altar and was formed in the late 1400s. Flanking the Chancel are two Chapels. To the north is the St. Nicholas Chapel, built in 1475, dedicated to St. Nicholas in 1899 and refurbished in 1966.
The pulpit bears the date 1634. The large organ was given to the church in 1869 and extended in 2009. There are two fonts. The old disused one in St. Thomas’ Chapel dates back to the 15th century, and the large new font set to the right of the north door dates from 1886.
For some years St. Mary’s has held a Flower Festival in early July at which various organisations and churches from around the town contribute displays. The Festival raises money for a number of charities and attracts a large number of visitors each year.
Like what you see at St Marys Church?