National Museum Wales / Amgueddfa Cymru is now taking bookings into 2021. It is on the understanding that that this may change due to COVID-19 regulations. Entry to all their sites is free of charge, but all groups will have to be prebooked. Groups will be fully advised on procedures before arrival, but here are some guidelines.
The maximum group size is 30 (including driver, guide etc) except the National Wool Museum which has a group capacity of 20. It is important that all groups are pre-booked (groups without a pre-booking will be turned away). The organiser will be required to submit a risk assessment to the museum to show the Welsh Government’s guidelines on group and public transport are being followed. Each booking can be for one vehicle only - i.e. they will not accept two coach bookings of 10 people each.
Onsite visitor management
Once on site, all visitors in the group must behave as individuals/separate households and follow the normal rules on social distancing. This means visitors cannot gather in a group for any reason in any area of the museum and not gather as a group again until they have exited the Museum. Even when they are in a museum with a significant outdoor experience, such as St Fagans National Museum of History.
- To safely manage each museum’s capacity, each museum site is only permitting one group visit per day.
- Face coverings must be worn in all indoor spaces.
- Toilets will be open for all sites with an increased hygiene regime.
- Not all museums will have catering outlets open.
- All group bookings must be made in advance – we will turn away anyone without a pre-booked visit.
Restrictions on site
To allow the museum sites to open safely, some restrictions have been introduced, such as a one way system and timed entry and exit at some of the museums. This also means at some area of the attractions that visitors are used to seeing will not be available. This includes the Underground Tour at Big Pit National Coal Museum which remains closed and access inside many of the historic houses at St Fagans National History Museum. It is advised that the operator checks before booking if there is a particular exhibition or experience that you wish to offer to your clients.
Health and Safety Provision
The health and safety of visitors and staff is paramount and work has been undertaken to minimise the COVID-19 risks at the museums:
- Front of house staff have received health and safety training in relation to COVID-19.
- Visitor safety guidelines are in place on site
- Social distancing measures are in place on site
- Hand sanitising stations are available for visitors and staff.
- Staff will wear face coverings and in some cases visors when interacting with visitors
- Hygiene regime has been further increased.
- Visitor numbers will be managed in line with public health and safety guidelines.
- Some galleries/areas will be temporarily closed where social distancing cannot be implemented.
- New routes, such as a one-way system have been set up.
- All museums have received the ‘Good to Go’ accreditation.
- The museum will be following Welsh Government’s Test, Trace, Protect.
All the museum sites have re-opened, although with reduced opening hours and are subject to local lockdowns that can alter on a weekly basis. It is recommended that you check their websites for the latest information and booking times. Some museums will operate on a ‘whole day’ visit basis, while others will operate timed entry and exist slots.
Booking and contacts for further information
Currently, to make bookings for 2021, it is recommended to book with the site directly and operators will then receive a full set of guidelines:
- St Fagans National Museum of History, Cardiff: Learning.St.Fagans@museumwales.ac.uk
- National Museum Cardiff:
- National Waterfront Museum, Swansea: firstname.lastname@example.org
- National Slate Museum, Llanberis: email@example.com
- National Roman Legion Museum, Caerleon: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Big Pit National Coal Museum: email@example.com
- National Wool Museum, near Carmarthen: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about the National Museum of Wales and the seven sites, please visit the National Museum of Wales website.