uilt by Pugin & Pugin, 1884-7, replacing Cardiff’s first Catholic church of 1842. It became the cathedral of the Cardiff Archdiocese in 1916.
Reconstruction work followed bomb damage, in the 1950’s by Bates, Son & Price, with hammerbeam roof trusses over the nave.
‘A dark, solemn presence in the commercial hubbub’, it is built from Pennant sandstone, in Early English style, with 4-stage tower, tall 5-light window with geometrical tracery. The wide beam roof spans the 7 bay nave, which is flanked by side chapels and confessionals. Superarches soar over clerestory windows and a two bay choir, with high altar reredos, is below circular honeycomb window.
Statues of Cardiff martyrs John Lloyd and Philip Evans. Late Victorian glass west window depicts the Immaculate Conception witnessed by Popes. A £3 million appeal involving redevelopment, marked the 50th anniversary of re-opening.