What is the Venturers Cruise?
The Venturers Cruise is an annual sailing holiday for young people. It was started over sixty years ago and is run by a Christian trust whose members are committed to the task of demonstrating the relevance of their faith to young people, within the beautiful but physically challenging environment of the Norfolk Broads.
- We explore about sixty miles of the northern rivers and broads of Norfolk, from the wild exposure of Horsey Mere and Barton Broad to the quiet and picturesque villages of Horning and Irstead.
- Each yacht is in the charge of an experienced and competent skipper who is assisted by a first mate.
- The Venturers Cruise is licensed by the Adventure Activities Licensing Authority, and is a registered charity.
- Each yacht has four or five crew members who sleep and eat aboard and learn the skills of handling yachts and lugsail dinghies under the careful supervision of their skippers.
- Each evening the flotilla of up to eleven thirty-foot yachts, three motor cruisers and thirteen dinghies moors for dinner (cooked on board) and then everyone goes off to enjoy the nightly live entertainment (provided by you!) in a local village hall. The evening includes instruction on sailing basics and water safety. A live band and a relevant talk about Christianity are also included.
- Many young people coming on the Venturers Cruise have felt their lives greatly influenced by the experience. All have become more self-reliant and many have found a faith upon which to build their adult lives.