Originally a motte & bailey structure started in 1093. A stone shell keep was built at the end of the 12th century, and the stone bailey wall in 1233 after the town had been destroyed by the Welsh.
Brecon Cathedral is set within the only walled cathedral close in Wales and is regarded as one of the country’s finest buildings. Inside the Cathedral is a rare Celtic font. The Chapel is home to the original colours from the Zulu Wars.
The earliest fort was built about AD 75 with defensive banks of clay which rested upon a cobbled surface. A wooden palisade would have protected the defenders.
Travel in an all-weather observation coach behind a vintage Steam Locomotive through beautiful scenery into the Brecon Beacons National Park along the full length of the Taf Fechan Reservoir to Torpantau, high in the Brecon Beacons.
Visit the Tourist Information Centre for all tourism enquiries.This TIC also offers a book a bed ahead service.
Founded c1100 by Richard Fitz Pons, an Anglo-Norman lord, this mid-12th century stone keep, similar to that of Tretower, perches atop an earlier motte overlooking the River Llynfi.
Buildings and structures associated with the nineteenth-century extraction and processing of lead ore.
The Cambrian Woollen Mill boasts a state of the art exposition which takes visitors through 700 years of weaving history in "The Wonderful World of Welsh Wool, tea and gift shop and crafts studio.
The Owain Glyndwr Centre is built on the site of the famous parliament held in 1404 at which Owain was crowned Prince of Wales. The Centre hosts a new interactive and informative exhibition on the life, times and vision of Owain Glyndwr.
In 1923 County War Memorial was completed to commemorate fallen servicemen from Montgomeryshire County. It was built by means of public subscription.
The Castle overlooks Craig-y-Nos Country Park, in the Brecon Beacons National Park, an area of outstanding natural beauty.
The Crickhowell Resource Centre includes a Tourist Information Centre, a coffee bar, Oriel CRiC Gallery, public access computers and conference facilities and office facilites.
The remains of this castle, begun by Llywelyn ap Gruffudd ('the Last') in 1273 and captured by the English in 1277, have been revealed by excavations.
Join our Rangers at the Visitor Centre to design, manufacture and launch your own rocket. Only £3 for your rocket materials. Places are limited so please book in advance on 01597 810880. Two sessions - 10am until 12 noon and 1pm until 3pm.
A well preserved example of a Victorian pleasure garden surrounded by trees and shrubs (rhododendrons and azaleas) with lawns, streams and waterfalls stretching down to panoramic views to the Brecon Beacons.
Substantial remains of thirteenth-century castle of Hubert de Burgh, raised on an earlier motte. It was later remodelled by the house of Lancaster.
Hay Castle sets the imagination soaring. Once a great medieval stronghold, the castle and the grounds in the heart of Mid Wales are alive with possibilities once again.
Moated site believed to have belonged to the bishops of Llandaff later used as the site of a hunting lodge.
Llananno church situated by the River Ithon was completely rebuilt in 1876, but a wonderful rood screen from the late 15th century has been preserved. It is well worth visiting.