Situated at the heart of Owain Glyndwr’s independent kingdom, near the mouth of the River Dyfi, is Glyndwr’s Chapel Royal of St Peter ad Vincula, the site of his last parliament. A gathering of ‘nobles and prelates’, it was a House of Lords as well as the greatest mediaeval synod of the Welsh Church.
Princes and clerics, monks and friars assembled in this small Meirionethshire village during March 1406 to examine and discuss ‘the state and usefulness’ of the Welsh Church. The cry was for reformation and for a Wales free to determine her own future among the European family of nations.
Their deliberations resulted in the Pennal Policy which was embodied in the famous Pennal letter, possibly the most important document in Welsh history.