This imposing medieval palace stands in a grassy hollow next to purple-stoned St Davids Cathedral. Even in ruins, the palace - unequalled anywhere else in Wales - still conveys the affluence and power of the medieval church. It is largely the work of the energetic Bishop Henry de Gower (1328-47).
No expense was spared in creating a grand residence fit for a major figure of both Church and State. De Gowers palace boasted two complete sets of state rooms ranged around a courtyard, one for his own use, the other for ceremonial entertainment.
The palace is richly embellished throughout with lavish stone carvings. Particularly fine are its arcaded parapets - de Gowers trademark - decorated with chequered stonework.