White Castle

Llantilio Crosenny, Abergavenny, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, NP7 8UD, Wales

Welsh Tourist Board

White Castle, which started life as a simple earthwork stronghold soon after the Norman Conquest, was rebuilt in stone in the later 12th and 13th centuries. Granted to Hubert de Burgh by King John in 1201, the castle convincingly conjures up a romantic vision of the Middle Ages. There is a large and now grassy outer ward enclosed by walls and towers, but it is the self-contained and well-preserved inner ward that captures the imagination. Powerful round towers and high curtain walls, built on a steep earth mound encircled by a deep, water-filled moat, guard the heart of the castle.

Throughout its history White Castle seems to have fulfilled more of a military role than evolving into a nobleman's residence.

Facilities

  • Pets accepted