Bishop's Wood Local Nature Reserve is comprised of 46 acres (19 hectares) of woodland & limestone grassland. It was designated a Local Nature Reserve (LNR) in 1975, a Site of Special Scientific Interest in 2003 (SSSI) and Special Area of Conservation in 2004 (SAC) in recognition of its importance for nature conservation. Bishop's Wood is a classic example of limestone woodland, which is relatively rare in Britain. Part of the wood is classified as ancient woodland which means it has been wooded since at least the seventeenth century as indicated in the 1673 survey of Bishopston Manor.
Bishop's Wood Local Nature Reserve is one of only two Local Nature Reserves in Wales to be awarded the prestigious Green Flag Award for 2005. The Award recognises the excellent standards of management and the important role Bishop's Wood plays in both conservation of species and habitats and its place in education and community involvement. The Green Flag Award scheme is the national standard for parks and green spaces and recognises the value of green spaces for communities. It is managed by the Nature Conservation Team of City and County of Swansea Council and supported by Natural Resources Wales and a range of sponsors.
In 2004, Bishop's Wood Nature Reserve Roundhouse won a Lord Mayor's Design Award. The awards recognise architectural flair in groundbreaking schemes that contribute to an evolving and forward-looking city. The Award was in recognition of its imaginative design and use of local materials and skills. Made from green hard woods harvested from Gower woodlands in accordance with sustainability principles, the structure was designed and built by Dafydd Davies-Hughes inspired by a study of a medieval cathedral spire.