Glamorganshire Golf Club

Lavernock Road, Penarth, Vale Of Glamorgan, CF64 5UP, Wales

Glamorganshire Golf Club was the birthplace of the Stableford system of scoring which is used throughout the world. Although the first inland course to be built in Wales, Glamorganshire is close to the high cliffs at Penarth and the view of the Bristol Channel from its highest point covers five counties- Glamorgan and Monmouthshire on the Welsh side and Gloucestershire, Somerset and Devon across the water.

The fourth oldest club in Wales, it was the first to introduce golf to the industrialized southeast and led the way to a golfing revolution in the area. It hosted two of the earliest Welsh championships, introduced professionals into Wales for the first time and helped to establish other clubs in the most densely populated area of Wales. Among its members was Guy Gibson, leader of the Dambusters, who celebrated being awarded the Victoria Cross by holding a party in the clubhouse. It was in 1898 that Dr Frank Stableford persuaded his fellow members at Glamorganshire to try out a new system of scoring he had devised. The historic event is commemorated by a specially commissioned portrait, a mounted plaque and an annual competition on the anniversary of his systems debut.

Glamorganshire has changed much since the good doctors day and modern improvements help to offer a very attractive and demanding course